The resources found on this page have been complied by Pavithra Sarma, Equalities and Anti-Racism Consultant; Co-Founder and Co-Admin of Anti-Racism Education Scotland (ARES) and Tamzin Macdonald, Co-Founder/Co-Admin of Anti Racism Education Scotland. She is a disabled /single mum of one/student/ex-childcare worker/Woman of Colour.
Pavi and Tamzin hope that these books and resources will facilitate practitioners’ understanding around different identities and help in shaping a society where young children can feel free to embrace their true selves without fear and honour their roots.
Tamzin MacDonald highly recommends the following books specifically for black and brown children.
Pavi further recommends the following resources for continued learning. These can be utilised depending on what children gravitate to and how families facilitate their learning.
Click here to learn more
3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2566511/ – The ‘other race effect’ or ORE which commonly comes into play when police officers cannot distinguish between black, brown or indigenous faces when someone is being accused of a crime.
4. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=d34N68eY-3QC&lpg=PP1… – “Handbook of race, racism and the developing child”
5. http://www.childrenscommunityschool.org/social-justice…/ – social justice resources
6. https://www.scholastic.com/…/shades-of-people-by…/ – a book for the library for younger kids.
8. https://www.harpercollins.com/products/lets-talk-about-race-julius-lester?variant=32117655863330&fbclid=IwAR04CIIDw12rWaQUaxDFKTjFuSfdtXSmY3lktLQMVWZE2GfVPyiBBhHKOpE – we have this book at home and I have used it for my community groups and it’s really great.
9. https://www.nais.org/magazine/independent-school/summer-2014/what-white-children-need-to-know-about-race/http://nais.org/…/What-White-Children-Need-to-Know… – “What White Children Need to Know About Race” by Ali Michael and Eleonora Bartoli
10. https://slate.com/human-interest/2014/03/teaching-tolerance-how-white-parents-should-talk-to-their-kids-about-race.html – “How White Parents Should Talk To Their Young Kids About Race” by Melinda Wenner Moyer
11. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dear-parents-of-white-children_b_3719818?fbclid=IwAR1McvEFqmP1C0lhlxFGuQGROB7xtVo-9ncUg2hhjG2g9s7lf4iQz48Rh1I&guccounter=1 – “For Whites (Like Me): On White Kids” by Jennifer Harvey
12. https://bouncebackparenting.com/resources-for-talking-to-kids-about-race-and-racism/ – “Resources For Talking With Kids About Racism” by Lorien Van Ness